Monday, March 26, 2012

The Frozen Avocado Test


    It has been 6 ½ weeks since I placed whole, untouched avocados in the freezer. It was a test and this is an update to the post I wrote on Feb 9, 2012. I was able to get a large bag of ripe avocados at the farmer's market for $2. I couldn't pass them up. The problem arises, as there is only so much you can do with an avocado. What would I do with so many? I often place bananas that I find on sale in the freezer, skins and all. The skins turn black, but the mushy bananas are perfect for breads, cakes and smoothies. The thought crossed my mind that maybe I could do this with the many avocados I managed to buy at such a discount. I froze all of them that I did not use. I just put them in a bag and put them in the freezer, skins and all.
   Today I decided to make some guacamole. I went to the freezer and took out 2 avocados. Of course, I did have to let them thaw a bit as they were VERY frozen. I let them sit on my counter for about an hour. When I checked on them, they were still a little bit frozen. The skins had the same appearance and texture as a fresh avocado. I was able to peel them with no problem. Mashing them was not an issue as well. The avocados were perfect. I do believe I could have sliced them and eaten them as though they were fresh with a little salt and pepper. The color was beautiful and the texture was fine.  I will look for more avocado bargains and the next time, I will know exactly what to do with all the avocados!
 






4 comments:

  1. Good to know as this I wasn't aware of. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing...now I know what to do with the extra avocados.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Patty, I have not visited your blog in a while---some really, really good info. I did not know about freezing the avocado either, hate to think how many I've thrown out because I did not know you could do this. Your blog is wonderful, informative and beautiful to look at. You are amazing!!! I hope your back is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for doing the "leg work" on this one. I, too, really like avocados but cannot bear to pay retail. Voila! Extras in the freezer. Thank you so much!

    Nancy
    www.liveasavorylife.com

    ReplyDelete