) The ceiling fan light in our kitchen was white, pretty boring and simple. It had no real style. It also seemed out of place with the newly installed track lighting.My first step was to change the color to black. I literally just took the blades off the fan, after removing the globe, taped some newspaper to the ceiling and spray painted the fan. (Was going to make this as simple as possible) The blade arms were placed on a drop cloth and spray painted. I wanted to do away with the glass globe. I had envisioned some sort of cage around the bulb and several options crossed my mind. While I was searching for something I could possibly use, I came across and old floor fan that no longer worked. PERFECT!!!
In a matter of minutes, I had the cage off of the fan. I removed the plastic cover in the center of the front cover. On the drop-cloth it went, and in no time painted black. I wire tired the back of the cage to the part of the fan that normally the globe would be attached to. The center hole in the cage was a perfect fit around the bulb socket. I then attached the front cage cover to the back with the original clips on the cage.
Wow, easy access to the bulb. (Shame on me, no CFL light bulbs in my kitchen. But I need to be able to see and the older I get, the more difficult it is to see, especially with the CFL bulbs.)
Success! I managed to get the look I wanted. There is actually more light in the room without the globe. I am loving the industrial look of the ceiling fan redo! Simple. easy and recycling!
.jpg)
Great Idea, Love it!
ReplyDeleteNice
ReplyDeleteI would have never thought...you are very clever and thrifty. Gonna give this a try for sure!!
ReplyDelete