The first thing I do, is take all the string out of the top and bottom, or just cut the edges off.
Then I removed several inches from the top or bottom to use in creating the handles. This is a simple project and you can use your own judgement on measurements. There is no real science to it. So I won't complicate things with a lot of measurements and calculations. None of the bags that I produce are exactly the same. Each Bag has it's own character.
I cut the strip for the handles in half and open it up. I then double fold the strip and stitch it down the edge to create the straps for the handles. Cut this strap in half to create 2 handles. I then sit them aside as attaching the handles will be the very last step.
The next step is to turn the bag inside out. I lay it flat and stitch the bottom of the bag. I create "points" in the corners by pulling the side and the bottom seam together, matching the bottom seam with the imaginary seam on the side, as shown. Now I sew a straight line ACROSS the point of the triangle. (perpendicular to the side seam). The length of this seam will be the width of the bag bottom. I normally stitch the line about 4' from the point.
When I have finished stitching both corners, I turn the bag right side out. I now have a flat bottom, or box bottom bag.
I then double fold the top edge of the bag over and stitch, creating a finished edge. At this point, I do use a ruler and mark the bag in the center on the front and back along the finished edge. I measure out approx. 5" from the center and mark in both directions, creating a distance of 10". This is where I will stitch the handles in place. I stitch the handles at a slight angle. No fancy stitching pattern, just back and forth making a strong attachment.
The bag is now completed. Cardboard or plastic can be cut and placed in the bottom of the bag for added support.


Awesome!! I might have to try that.
ReplyDeleteI love this tutorial and have shared it several times on my Facebook page! Thanks for the great blog post!
ReplyDelete