The Process
Wash the jars in soapy water and rinse well. (I run my jars through the dishwasher.)
Add 1¼ Cup of Dry Beans per quart to jars. Fill with hot water and let sit overnight.
The next morning, I drain the jars and fill the jars several times to rinse.
I then fill each jar to the neck of the jar with water and add 1 tsp of salt.
Heat the lids in boiling water, remove, place the lids on the jars and screw on bands.
Place in the canner (7 quarts will fit ) with 3 inches or 2 qts. of water )
Latch the lid on the canner and heat on high until steams shoots from the vent , reduce the heat.
I do a slow cook for 30 min. After 30 minutes place the weight on the vent and continue to cook until it reaches 10lbs pressure .
Process in Pressure Cooker @ 10lb for 90 minutes.
Remove from heat and let the canner cool completely and allow all pressure to escape before removing canner lid.
Remove hot jars from canner. Tighten lids. Let sit undisturbed for 24 hours. You will hear the jars pop as they seal. When cool, press the top of each lid to make sure there is a good seal. When sealed there will be no “give” in the lid. If you discovered a jar has not properly sealed, refrigerate or reprocess immediately.
Always read manufacturers directions that were included with your pressure canner.
Chili Beans
To can chili beans, add the following to jars before applying seals and screw bands.
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. dried onions
Process the same as above.


Patty, I have been wishing you would do this--include recipies for the fabulous things you do, I think canning is becoming a lost art. Please do add the recipe for the Pasta Fagioli, too.
ReplyDeleteMy Pasta Fagioli recipe will be posted soon! It quickly became my favorite. Our family has a love for soups. I am so blessed to have married into this family so rich with history and a great taste for food. :)
ReplyDeleteI have never thought of canning those, but I sure do use them. Thank you so much for showing us how to can them.
ReplyDeleteDolly