Thursday, February 9, 2012

What to do with all of these Avocados!


What else would you do with avocados? When our co-op group went to the farmer's market for our weekly shopping trip, one of the vendors offered me a big bag of ripe avocados for $2. How could I pass them up? I researched ways to preserve them and decided it would be easier just to make guacamole. I love guacamole!
I cut them all up, peeled them and made plenty. The recipe has lemon juice in it, so I will try to freeze some of it. The lemon juice should prevent any browning.
I normally freeze bananas with the peels on. I just toss the entire banana into the freezer. When I am ready to make a smoothie or banana nut bread, I just take it from the freezer, peel it and mash it. So, I am wondering, can I do this with avocados? I did read somewhere that keeping the seed in the avocado prevents it from browning. Some disagree and say it is an old wives tale. I will preform my own scientific research. I placed 4 avocados in the freezer. I will update this post in a week or so and let you know how well the avocados freeze. If you have frozen avocados with good results, I would love to hear about it.

Guacamole



  • 2 avocados
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1/2 Tablespoon crushed garlic
  • juice from 1/2 of a lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Remove the seeds from the avocados and scoop out the meat of the avocado. Simply mash all the ingredients together. Refrigerate for an hour before serving. 
Note: I have made variations of this recipe. Sometimes adding finely chopped tomato and a couple tablespoons fresh cilantro.


UPDATE-  Today I removed 2 avocados from the freezer and made guacamole. They were perfect. Read about it The Avocado Test 
.





3 comments:

  1. Yum, Patty! I have two avocados ripening on the counter for a Friday night guac fest. For variety, I substitute lime juice, or orange juice for the lemon juice. Don't forget to plant the pit for a free house plant! And maybe, in 10 years, you'll have your own avocados!

    Nancy
    www.liveasavorylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can't wait to see how this turns out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We layer whole wheat tortillas with black beans (cooked up from dry beans) topped with diced cooked boneless chicken, topped with a mix of salsa and mashed avocado. Yum!

    ReplyDelete