Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rusty Beans - Oh my what to do!


I went to the farmer's market and was able to purchase a case of really nice looking green beans for $5. What a deal! Okay, I would not have even wanted to bend over and pick these beans for $5. But, oh my...when I got the beans home that were covered with a "rust".  I have heard that green beans will get rusty looking if they have been picked in the early morning, when the dew is still on the bushes.  These beans were in a cold storage unit. I imagine the moisture caused them to turn spotty after removing them from the unit. I researched it online and discovered that the beans were still edible though they are not too pretty. I prepared a batch of 7 qts for the pressure canner. I was pleasantly pleased when I removed them from the canner. There were no signs of brown spots! They were beautiful green beans. I was able to process 28 qts of green beans from that $5 case. What a deal!




1 comment:

  1. I for one am impressed, and pleased that they turned out so well for you. I probably would have thrown them away...You just taught me something...Thanks!
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete