It is always hard to say goodbye. My heart is breaking. He has been a part of our family for 16 years. He has been my best friend, my guard dog. He has given us loads of smiles, laughs, and more love and dedication than any family could ask for. I know I could not ask for more than 16 years. 16 years is alot for a dog his size. But I sure was not ready to lose him.
Touchdown came into our lives when my twins were 9 yrs old. He was a tiny pound puppy. One of the boys would sleep next to the kennel at night when Touchdown cried so he would not feel alone. They would argue about who was "taking" Touchdown when they left home. He has been a wonderful addition to our family. He loved sitting on the deck and watching the neighborhood. He had his favorite ball that he loved to play with. My husband referred to him as "Velcro". He followed me all over the house. He had a bed next to my bed. He had a bed next to my sewing machine. He loved me and I never doubted it. When my deceased husband was dying of cancer years ago, Touchdown stayed by his side. He did not come out from under the hospital bed set up in the house for 3 days. He was dedicated.
Over the past year I have noticed a cloudiness in his eyes and his eyesight failing. He stumbled and would fall down the stairs. It has saddened me as I knew his days with us were numbered. I knew this day was coming, and I knew it would be soon.
My personal beliefs is that I will see him again one day. I believe God knew, when he created animals and the human race, that we would fall in love with these animals, that we would become attached to them, that we would love them deeply. He knew that they would fill voids and love us back. I believe with all my heart that God has a place in heaven for each and every pet that I have loved and lost. I whole heartedly believe that I will see him again. Rest in peace Touchdown.

No comments:
Post a Comment