Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thrifty Chicken Feeder on A Budget


I was in need of a chicken feeder. Several attempts at building one that encourage less waste had failed. I was beginning to wonder if there is such a thing. The girls live in a pretty small coop and with the large 2 gallon water fount, a even larger hanging feeder would not work in their "small apartment". I had my cousin Nancy with me at the farm store and we walked around looking for something that we could upcycle into a feeder. Finally we came across this little can of peanuts. I thought maybe we could turn it into a "space saving" hanging feeder and save a few dollars. We search the electrical department, the plumbing department as well as gardening to try to figure out how we could make it work. We finally decided with the use of nuts, bolts and chain that we had sitting at home, we would need nothing more. We hurried home and started to work on our project. We drilled a few holes, added some springs, nuts, bolts and chains. We had our project completed within 30 min. We bolted the lid to the bottom of the can and spaced it with some larger nuts and lock washers. We drilled some unsightly holes in the bottom for the feed to escape. We then drilled holes around the top to insert springs and chain. I hung it on a hook in the coop, Now, hopefully there will be less waste. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment