Monday, May 7, 2012

Favorite Kitchen Helpers


I love my kitchen. I spend hours and hours in my kitchen. I love to cook, bake and preserve. Chances are if I am not outside doing chores or gardening, I am in the kitchen. Like most that spend hours in the kitchen I have a wish list that is pages and pages long. Of course, realistically, I don't have the room for all the gadgets I would like to have. I do however have a few favorites that I don't think I could do without.


Wooden spoons are important.  My wooden potato masher is another important utensil. Wooden spoons win over other utensils in my book, hands down. They don't get hot like metal. They don't react to acidic foods opposed to metal. They work well for non stick surfaces. They don't damage food when "stirring gently". They feel comfortable. I try to buy wooden spoons at craft fairs as they seem to last longer and take more abuse than the skinny handled ones that are mass produced. Wrap a ribbon around a couple of wooden spoons for an inexpensive gift. I would much rather be gifted wooden spoons then a dust collecting trinket. Just sayin'. 


Pampered Chef stoneware and Silpat baking sheets. Can't survive in the kitchen without either. 
Pampered Chef stoneware evenly distributes heat and retains heat, so your just-out-of-the-oven foods stay hot longer. They sort of fit into the same category as the wooden spoons. They just feel right. I can mix my bread up and let them rise and bake them all in the same bowl. My pizza stone is housed right in the oven. I use these pieces so much. When mixing or baking they are my first "to go to" pieces. 
Silpat baking sheets are another favorite kitchen necessity.  They never need greasing and replace parchment paper. Using SILPAT baking sheets save time, money and reduces waste in our environment. I am all about all three of these reasons to use Silpat baking sheets. I have tried other brands and end up tossing them. My biscuits, and cookies bake beautiful. I highly recommend SILPAT.


Rada Knives are most valuable. I do have a few. First of all, they are AMERICAN MADE. The quality surpasses any knife I have ever owned. Some of my Rada knives are well over 30 years. They hold a edge longer than most and are easy to sharpen. Please be careful. I have the scars on my fingers from using a good sharp Rada knife. Rada also offers utensils and stoneware.  Favorites in my kitchen are the paring knife, the grapefruit knife and the tomato knife, The paring knife goes without saying. Just easy to handle (another "it just feels right"). It is sharp and makes my time in the kitchen pleasant. The grapefruit knife makes preparing a grapefruit so easy. The tomato knife will easily cut through a very ripe tomato when others just squish their way through. If you have never owned a Rada knife. Please try one. Or two or three. Rada sells a wide variety.  


Lastly, my pot filler faucet. I LOVE this and though I know it is a luxury that I was only able to have because of a remodel, I don't want to be without one ever again. I am so dependent on the access that it would be difficult to adjust without it.  I love to be able to fill my large pots right on the stove. It is right next to the coffee pot, so we use it to fill the coffee pot. We use it to fill buckets and the jug on the dog's self waterer. I love my pot-filler faucet!


All opinions expressed are completely my own. I am not being paid to promote Pampered Chef stoneware,  Silpat , Rada Knives or any other products.  . Just think of it as public service. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment