Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Canned Apple Pie Filling


I love this recipe that I acquired from a dear friend. Fern and Les owned a small apple orchard and I worked for them at the orchard many years ago. Their daughter has always been one of my dearest friends.  Fern passed away many years ago and Les passed away more recent. Fern shared this recipe and it has been a favorite. Memories of them will always be close when I make apple pie filling.  Typical store-bought pie filling never quite fills my pie plates. This recipe canned in quart jars, make a "full" apple pie. It is simple and delicious.

Ingredients:
7 qts of Apples (cored, peeled and sliced)
7 cups sugar
1/3 cup Cornstarch
7 teas. cinnamon
1 Tbl. salt
10 cups water

Fill canning jars with apples slices. Mix remaining ingredients in kettle and bring to boil. Cook until it becomes a thick syrup. Pour hot syrup over the apples. Clean jar rims and place lids and rings on jars. Process in water bath 20 min.





No comments:

Post a Comment