1. Of or prompted by feelings of tenderness, sadness, or nostalgia: "she felt a sentimental attachment to the place creep over her".
There is really a sentimental side of me. Not only from a personal perspective, but sometimes I even wish I were born in a different era. I feel a nostalgia for certain times of the past. I love music of times past as well as dress and the simplier way of life. Not to say I would not struggle if taken back in a time machine and would yearn for indoor plumbing and today's electronics.
Years ago, I pulled Iris from my grandmother Richey's flower bed and transplanted them to my home in Ohio. Now that we have made the move back to Illinois, I felt I had to transplant Grandma's iris' as well. So on our most recent trip I pulled up what I could. Yesterday between the rains I went outside to my already prepared flower bed and started burying the rhizomes of the plants. (They are easily transplanted, just barely putting thim in the dirt). As I planted the iris I couldn't help but think about my grandparents. The thought of one would lead to thoughts of another. My grandmother Richey loved flowers. Her mother, my great grandmother Wayman did as well. They both had beautiful flower beds and would carry plants and plants into the house to winter. Springtime would arrive and they would fill there porches and yards with plants. They had peonies, poppys, cosmos, zinnias, Geraniums, and many, many more. I suppose between them, and my own mother I have developed the same love for plants. I love to garden. The iris that came from my grandmother's flower bed have a sentimental value that I could not leave in Ohio.
I do yearn for the lives that they had at times. I have my little "idiosyncrasyies"that take me back in time. I love to garden, cook and bake. I can my garden produce, mend and sew. You can find me in my apron at any given time. Sometimes, you may find me in my great grandmother's apron as well. Strong family ties, hard work and good old fashioned ways kept these families together during the depression, wars and plagues that faced them in their era. How wonderful it was to have them to share their lives with me, as I was growing up.

How wonderful. I have similar memories of my grandparents and everyday I am reminded of one of them.
ReplyDelete