Today is International Sunflower Guerilla Gardening Day. It’s a day when people all over the world will be planting sunflowers around the world in places that could use a little sunshine and beauty. I love sunflowers. I am armed with several packs of sunflower seeds and will set out today to try to beautify our little town. This in the 3rd year I have planted sunflower seeds in random areas on May 1st. Though I have relocated this year, I can't help to believe that the sunflowers I have previously planted have dropped seeds and "volunteers" will pop up in those same areas.
It’s a simple thing to do.
- Purchase some sunflower seeds.
- Leave home with a bottle of water and a digging tool. (a garden trowel, spoon, or screwdriver)
- Find a sunny spot that typically will not be mowed or maintained. (next to a vacant building, railroad tracks, grassy vacant lot) I have read of people planting them in the flower beds of McDonald's restaurants, though I am not suggesting it. Plant the seeds in a spot in your community that needs a little sunshine.
- Dig a small hole. Drop in a seed. Cover with dirt and water.
- Go back to where you’ve planted the seeds often to take care of the weeds and water while plants are young.

I love roasted sunflower seeds, in fact, I have some with me right now.
ReplyDelete