Monday, April 25, 2011

Why do we make the To-Do List?

Last week was a busy week. I had a to-do list for almost everything I did. I had a list of things that needed done before I left for Columbus, Oh. I had a list for everything I needed to take to Ohio with me. I had a list of everything I needed to bring back from Ohio. I had a list for everything that needed to be done while in Ohio. I had a list for everything needing done to prepare for the Earth Day picnic and Easter. So now it is the beginning of a new week, and of course the new list begins.
I think that one of the most important reasons for keeping a to-do list is the organization. Organizing my tasks with a list can make everything much more manageable and make me feel grounded. Seeing a clear outline of the completed and uncompleted tasks helps me to stay mentally focused. Besides the fact, it helps me to not be forgetful. That is, as long as I can remember to look at my to-do list. If I can stay focused on my to-do list it eventually becomes a "completed projects" list.
I struggle with my to-do list. I constantly add to it, and it never becomes a "completed projects". If I do something not on my list, I add it and scratch it off, all at the same time. At the end of the day I need to justify my time. Come on, I know I am not the only person that does this! For me, it’s because I always see the full picture. I can’t look at just one task without seeing everything related to it. I look at my to-do list and visualize all the post-it-notes surrounding each task.
Men seem to be able to handle the task at hand and not focus on the full picture. I can tell Dalous that I am overwhelmed by everything needing done and he responds, "What needs done?". Seriously? He just does not see everything that needs done the way I look at these things. How lucky is that? I think secretly, my to-do list may be an effort to recruit his help. Sometimes he will look at my list. He will do what he can and scratch them from the list. Sometimes, I add what I consider "his task" to my list, so that it might get accomplished. So much easier than nagging. I am thankful that Dalous is great help. He is not beyond running the vacuum sweeper, folding clothes or unloading the dishwasher. He is definately on my list of "Blessings".
I will start a new to-do list today, maybe two. I will continue to jot things down in an orderly fashion. So why do I make list? Let me count the ways.
  1. To take the chaos out of the task at hand.
  2. To keep me focused on these task.
  3. To help me remember the task needing done.
  4. To relieve some of the stress and focus my mind.
  5. To keep me from procrastinating.
  6. To look back over my list and be able to see all I have accomplished in a day.
  7. Secretly, it allows me to recruit help.
  8. Creating my to-do list allows me time each morning to sit and enjoy my coffee as I ponder my days events.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the reason for the lists. I knew a school teacher and she made lists that took longer than the tasks she had to do. LOL

    ReplyDelete