Thursday, April 14, 2011

Zoning!

I have a 12x16 shed coming in a few days for my backyard. I am pretty excited as it has a loft in it and I will have plenty of storage for Christmas decorations and lots of the stuff I had stored in my basement back in Columbus. But now I hear I need a permit for a portable, non-anchored structure. :/ I called city hall and talked to Beth. She said I would need a permit and it would be $50 for that size of shed. OK, I can live with that. Though, in Columbus Oh, where you need a permit to change your water heater, portable sheds do not require a permit. Go figure. The kicker... It has to be 10' from the back of my property line and 8' from either side. So now is where my "How dare you do this to me" defense kicks in. My fence can be within 18" from the property line on the back and ON the property line on either side, but my shed has to be stuck out in the middle of my yard. GRRR. I have already bought and paid for my shed and it arrives in a matter of days. I can ask for a hearing for a change in the variance. Which would require time, an appearance in front of the city council, and permission from my neighbors.  I begin to argue and become hot headed. I explain that we had to tear down a ugly make shift shed before we could even get insurance as the structure was in such poor condition. And I state that I am beginning to regret buying this house in Carlinville. She stops me from my ranting and said "you didn't say there was a shed already there". She then tells me if I can prove it, I can replace that shed! She has agreed to stop in this morning and look at the area to determine that there was a structure there. If she can "tell" that one was there, and that I am basically replacing it, We will be allowed to carry on. :) I am so praying that this works out.
Update - Beth from the zoning office came out the following day. She could see where the previous structure had been and has allowed us to optain a permit and we will be allowed to place the new shed where the old one once stood.

No comments:

Post a Comment