Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Day of Thanks




Today I woke up and put on a pot of coffee and decided that today was the day. Some days I just get sentimental and ponder things. I can remember when I was very young I saw my mother sitting at the table making a list. I ask her what she was writing. She told me that she was making a list of everything that she could be thankful for. I was very young, but that little incident has been a memory that I never forgot. I have no idea why she was writing the list, but she must have felt in some way that she needed that visual list. I wonder now if that list is long gone, or if she has tucked it away in some forgotten place to show up years from now.
I pondered on the things that I have to be thankful for. I am thankful for the special people in my life. My husband, parents, siblings, my wonderful children and grandchildren. I am thankful for my extended family and my strong, supportive friends.
I am thankful for the pets in my life... My dog "Touchdown" that has given me 16 years of unconditional love and my 13 year old cat "Priss". Our dog Reese, is always good for laughs. I am thankful that he is so dedicated to my husband and gives him that unconditional love.
I am thankful for the memories of a wonderful childhood. I am thankful for the opportunity to raise my children and experience being a mother. I am thankful for the blessing of my wonderful grandbabies and all the memories they are now creating.
I am thankful for the opportunities I have had in my life. Thankful for all I have been able to do and accomplished. I am thankful for an education. I am thankful for my travels. I have stood on mountains. I have heard oceans roar. I have listen to the sounds in the forest. Seen the hustle and bustle of big cities.
I have met famous people. I am thankful for art and music. I have lived in alot of places. I am thankful that I live in a nice quiet area. I am thankful to be an "American", where I can worship an almighty God. I am thankful for the experiences I have had. I am thankful that I have made many, many right decisions, and thankful that I made wrong decisions that I could learn from.
I am thankful that I am alive. I am thankful that God has blessed me with talent. I am thankful that I can sew, cook and create. I am thankful that I am who I am, And that I can "like" myself. I am thankful that I am a caring, loving person. I am thankful there are forgiving people for the times I wasn't so nice. I am thankful that I have no ridiculously bad habits. I am thankful for the opportunities to witness life and death. I am thankful that the "in-between" is so full of blessings. I am thankful that I can feel that "Life is Good".

1 comment: