Thursday, February 16, 2012

Campfires In February


Okay, we can't do this every year, but this year has been different. We have enjoyed a fire in our fire-pit all winter long. The winter has been unseasonably mild, so there have been times we have been able to sit around the outside fire. I love the smell and the sounds of a campfire. We never have a problem lighting our firepit, as we use fire starters that I make from recycled newspaper, wood chips and old candle wax.
We picked up bags of cedar chips last year when we went to the Steam Show and Fall Festival Days. They were demonstrating making cedar shingles and allowed us to bag up the cedar chips. We brought bags and bags home. I get left over candles from weddings, parties, etc., that are usually left behind. I bought a tin cupcake pan from a thrift store to "build" my fire-starters in.
I melt the wax in an old crockpot that I picked up from the thrift store. It is designated for the wax. I can put the wax in it and let it melt unattended. If I don't get around to making fire-starters right away it is fine. The aromatherapy of the candles are wonderful. I cut the newspaper in approx. 5"x5" squares and place about 4 layers in each section of a cupcake tin. I add some wood chips and push the newspaper down into the tin. I then ladle enough hot wax into the "cupcake" to cover the wood chips. When the wax has cooled, pull from the tin and toss in a container to keep dry for fire-starting. Excellent for fire-pits. fireplaces, campfires. Just light the paper and watch it burn,


No comments:

Post a Comment