Friday, February 10, 2012

Our Little Chicken Coop


Last summer I found a little playhouse listed on craigslist. I called about it and was told it was still available. It was pretty rickety. The door was broken off of it and there was no real support to it. It was basically 3 walls and a roof when I brought it home.  I talked about how I could restore it. The seller stated he was glad to see it go to someone who could fix it up and some children could get some use of  it again.  Did I say I was going to fix it up as a playhouse? Gosh, please don't make me feel guilty. It has sat in our yard for the past 7 months, very much neglected. I talked about creating a chicken house, or a small pigeon coop out of it. Never did I have intentions of children playing in it again. The children I know would much rather feed chickens or gather eggs anyway.
The first thing I did was to put 2x4's around the base for support.  I then put in a wood floor with 1x12's. All the wood used to renovate the playhouse was used lumber. I then rebuilt the wall that the door hung on, and hung the door. I cut the window larger on one side and built a box on the outside for nesting boxes. I put a hinged lid on it so that I would have easy outside access for egg gathering. I built a ladder type roost inside. I removed all the window frames and installed screens, and replaced the frames. I purchased 8' wheels with rubber tires to put on the bottom and added large handles on the outside walls to allow for easy relocating. I will paint the outside of my little chicken coop when spring arrives. But for now, the girls are happy to call it "home sweet home".



No comments:

Post a Comment