| We made our weekly trip to the market for our co-op. I have to say I am loving this produce... We had 14 families participated this week. This gives us a bigger selection, and not an over abundance of any one produce item. Of course, this week required more of our time involved purchasing and sorting. 3.5 lbs red potatoes 5 onions 1 head cauliflower 1 stalk celery 1 lb strawberries 6 broccoli crowns 7 apples 4 green bell peppers 1 lb grapes 2 cucumbers 4 oranges 1 head iceberg lettuce 8 sweet potatoes 1 head cabbage 3 tomatoes 2 lb green beans 1 Garlic The vendors now know us and always seem to be glad to see us. We know those that won't haggle over their prices and those that sell their produce at a higher cost. We still try to give them the benefit of the doubt and attempt to deal with them. Usually, with no luck. We did get a case of oranges and found those on the bottom, quite less than perfect. I captured the photo on my phone and we will discuss it with the vendor next week. We have had issues like this before and the vendors are very pleasant and will work with us. I was lucky enough to get some FREE less than perfect apples from one of the vendors. He also offered to save those they can not sell for me next week. I am thrilled. I brought the apples home, cored, peeled and sliced them and put them in the dehydrator with cinnamon sprinkled on them. What a delicious snack. I was able to get 2 dehydrators full of slices from the apple culls. So there are some perks to spearheading a co-op. I try to encourage the other participants to go along for the shopping spree. There may be a "bargain" available that we can't purchase for the group, but would be perfect for someone individually. We have been able to purchase "very ripe" peppers for $4 a case (approx. 70 peppers). We try to put quality produce in baskets so we wouldn't purchase them, but they would be great for chopping up and putting in the freezer. Every participant seems happy with the choices we have made as the purchasers. I am thrilled to have their participation as it allows me to have selective produce. It encourages those involved to plan meals and try new menu items. Involvement also encourages healthier meals. |
Saturday, February 11, 2012
Loving the produce!
Labels:
A well stocked pantry,
co-op
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment