Monday, January 2, 2012

The way the Italians do it!

Papa Nino
     I married into an Italian family. My dear mother-in-law came to this country in the 40's. Her father was a chef. Papa Nino did all the cooking in the family and the family has wonderful memories of his pasta, pastries and sugar sculptures. My mother-in-law has shared many family recipes and lessons in Italian cuisine. I have fallen in love with panettone, canolli, and tortellini. My husband believes that a meal is not a meal without some type of pasta and parmesan cheese. Of course, he doesn't always get his way. I come from a Scot-Irish Dutch family. We don't have pasta every meal. However, I do love my Atlas pasta machine. He is a lucky guy, because I enjoy making alot of pasta.
     I love to make egg noodles, tortellini, and spaghetti with my Atlas pasta machine. I am waiting the arrival of a ravioli attachment as well. I recently used it to roll out homemade crackers. Tortellini are my favorite pasta and they are somewhat costly. Tortellini can be made for so much less than the cost of pre-made.
I would love to share my recipes with you.


Pasta
4 cups of all purpose flour
5 eggs
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
Make a well in the flour, add beaten eggs and begin to mix. Add olive oil and knead. Add water as needed.
Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest.

Filling
I use a simple recipe for my cheese filling.
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Mix well.

You can refer to Cooks Illustrated Three Filled Pastas In one hour, you can make ravioli, tortelli, or tortellini by following these 16 step-by-step illustrations.

Grandma Rose & Papa Nino

Spaghetti drying
Tortellini with spinach filling




Atlas Pasta Machine




No comments:

Post a Comment