Monday, January 2, 2012

Off To A Good Start- A Well-Stocked Pantry

     I have several goals for 2012. I need to sit down and make a goal chart. Maybe I can stay somewhat focused. Obviously I need a set of plans in order to accomplish my goals. Without plans, I can figure my goals are really only wishful thinking. But how do I develop the action plans? I suppose I need to start right to left. I need to start with the goal and work my way backwards. The action plan will be a "roadmap" and keep me motivated. My timeline will be the year 2012, so I should not feel too much pressure.
     A major goal that I have for the year of 2012 is establishing and maintaining a pantry. My husband is retired and we are on a limited income.  I feel it will be important as a reserve against hard times. The economy and the downward spiral this country appears to be heading, scares me. Regardless of the economy, a possible natural disaster, or illness, I want to ensure that my family will have food. This goal will also allow us to eat healthier.
     I will focus on achieving this goal with these steps.

  • I will  create pantry space in the large spare bedroom closet.
  • I will design functional shelving for my stockpile. (including a rotating can rack)
  • I will obtain the storage containers I will need.
  • I will create a list of items I need for my stockpile.
  • I will maintain an inventory of stockpiled items.
  • I will maintain a menu using pantry items.
  • I will develop a shopping strategy as to get more for my buck.
  • I will shop with a price chart/record as to know when I am getting a better deal.
  • I will shop with a conscious effort for bargains and utilize coupons.  
  • I will shop with a conscious effort to fill my pantry with healthy choices.
  • I will utilize my dehydrator, pasta machine, and other kitchen appliances to prepare foods and buy less process and prepared foods.
  • I will raise as much fresh produce as my garden will provide, and preserve it.
  • I will raise poultry to be included in my stockpile.
     Funny, how accomplished I feel just creating my plan. I reserve the right to add anything to this plan that will help accomplish my goal. :) I will be sure to keep you posted of my progress. 



No comments:

Post a Comment