Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rice Cooker Madness

    




One of the best small kitchen appliances I own is a rice cooker. There are so many uses for a rice cooker. My guess is most people purchase a rice cooker and decide after making rice in it a few times, that it just takes up too much space. The thrift stores are full of almost new rice cookers. I don't think I have ever purchased a brand new one. I have passed a few on to my grown children and replaced it by making a trip to a thrift store. This week I came across a larger cooker that holds 10 cups. It is just a simple, basic cooker with only 2 settings... cook and warm. I make alot of rice. I buy rice in big bags. I make one big batch and then refrigerate it. I use it for breakfast, fried rice, rice pudding, stuffed peppers. I try to always keep cooked rice on hand.
I use the ratio of 1 part rice to 2 parts water. 
   Besides making rice, my rice cooker is used for other things.

  • Oatmeal (recipe follows.)
  • Grits 
  • Risotto (hands free)
  • Steam Veggies
  • Frittatas
  • Corn meal mush or Polenta
  • Soups and beans
  • Cooking fruit
I like it because it does not require me to stand over the stove and "babysit"  a simmering pot. I like the fact that with it, my family eats better.

My Oatmeal Recipe
  • 1 cup Oats
  • 2 ½ cups water
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tea. Maple Extract
  • Optional add ins include- Brown sugar, chopped apples, raisins, cranberries,  bananas, nuts, chia seed, flax seed. 
Place in rice cooker and stir after about the first 10 min. (I forget to stir most of the time and it is still delicious.)


No comments:

Post a Comment