Monday, July 25, 2011

Smoked Eggs


Smoked Eggs



While searching for info about chickens yesterday, I came across a recipe for "Smoked Eggs". Now these eggs are not really smoked, but a hard boiled egg. When they are fully cooked they will have become discolored to a beautiful brown color. The flavor is really hard to describe. But they do have a flavor all of their own. These eggs do not have a strong flavor, nor is it really an onion flavor. But it is delicious. I loved the flavor. I only made eight of them for fear of not liking them, and now wished I had added more. I had to cut onions to acquire enough to cook the eggs. I suppose I will start saving them in a resealable bag  in the refrigerator and cook eggs when I have saved enough peelings. I used red onion peelings on the bottom and added yellow onion peeling on top and between the eggs. I hope you try them and leave me feedback. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Ingredients 

Whole eggs in shell
Onion peels - just the papery skins, not the fleshy parts
Olive oil
Oven safe pan with tight lid or crockpot

Directions

Place a layer of onion skins on the bottom of the pan or crockpot. Then add a layer of whole raw eggs. Place onion skins between eggs and on top of eggs. If desired, repeat layers. 

Add water to cover at least an inch over. Drizzle olive oil over the water to make a thin slick. Place lid on pot.

Cook at 225 or on low in a crockpot for at least 8 hours. The longer you can cook them the better. They can cook for up to 16 hours. Place eggs immediately into cold water after cooking.

Eggs inside will be a different color and flavor then typical hard cooked eggs. Use them any way you would use a hard cooked egg - plain, with a little butter, salt and pepper, egg salad, etc. 








No comments:

Post a Comment