Monday, August 15, 2011

Dog Days of Summer

      The Dog Days of summer are upon us… we are almost through the hottest days of summer and all the activities that come along with summertime. Fairs, picnics,  water parks, vacations, farmer’s markets, grass mowing, vegetable gardening and canning to mention a few. I have to admit, I am looking forward to fall. Fall is my favorite season.
This is our first year back in my hometown community after living in the city for almost 20 years. I started this year with a little garden but have be blessed with plenty of produce. Friends and neighbors have been so kind. I have canned tomatoes, salsa and spaghetti sauce. I have put up corn, green beans, zucchini,  peppers, peaches, and plums, and made jelly. I am looking forward to the pears and apples soon. But, oh how I am exhausted. I am running down, but I know I am not alone. I am sure everyone that puts in a large garden and preserves what they can for winter use, feels the same as I do. A person gets to the point that they prefer to not see another tomato, ear of corn or green bean. I remind myself how wonderful it will all be in the dead of winter. I remind myself of how much better garden produce is vs. imported produce. I remind myself of the health benefits for my family.  The quality is so much better  and no one can argue that the flavor and taste of home grown produces well exceeds the store bought produce.  Now that I have had my little “pep talk” with myself, I am ready to dig into the basket of zucchini waiting to be shredded.



No comments:

Post a Comment