Friday, July 1, 2011

Pigeons or Doves?

The Byrd Coop



Doves are pretty and white and they go coo-coo. 
They're gentle and lovely to be around. 


Dad arrived yesterday afternoon with my pigeon coop and 5 young homing pigeons. Needless to say I was very excited. It had been several years since raising pigeons. I had built this coop years ago when I first began my adventure with homing pigeons. A good friend of mine from Goodells, Mi sparked my interest in pigeons. George, whom has since passed on, was so full of pigeon knowledge.  He would amaze me with all he knew. He gave me my first few pigeons and taught me so much about them. George was an amazing man and a wonderful friend. 
My dad has always had an interest in pigeons. Dad’s interests were more focused on Rollers and Tumblers. I too, think these are beautiful birds to watch, but homing pigeons have always fascinated me.  It fascinates me to see how fast they fly and how they can find their way home. The first time I released my pigeons, they arrived at the coop before I arrived back home. Amazing!
 I love to hear old-timers talk about their adventures with homing pigeons. Raising homing pigeons is a great pastime. It can be a wholesome hobby involving the entire family. It can promote bonding as well as instill responsibility in youth.  Raising pigeons requires a commitment of time and knowledge but the rewards are worth it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment