Sunday, April 29, 2012

Small Engine Repair




I have been looking for someone to repair my little tiller for some time. So long, that I wasn't even able to use it last year. The only problem was the repair shops wanted to charge around $60 an hour. If a small engine mechanic can get $60 and hour for his specialty, than I should be able to get $60 an hour for putting a new zipper in a pair of jeans. After all, sewing is my specialty. I know, realistically that would never happen, but some jeans are sold for as much or more than my tiller was. I didn't say "worth as much", but "sold for as much".
I finally decided that it was doing me no good sitting there. I had to decide if I was going to pay to have it fixed or try to tackle it myself. I opted to attempt to fix it myself. I pushed on the primer and no gas would pump into the bulb. Now I know that it is not getting gas. So I checked the gas lines and one crumbles in my hand. I love Google and resort to looking online. I find a weed eater that is similar to my tiller. I study how to change the gas lines. I remove the cover, even though I am not sure what it is covering. I then take out a couple of more screws to allow me to remove the gas tank. I head to the local parts store and picked up a foot of gas line for $1.05. It was just enough to run the 3 different lines. I figured out how to put them on and attempt to start it. No luck, so the gas lines must be in the wrong position. I attempt to connect them again. Wow, one, two, three pulls of the rope and my little tiller is running. I am so happy and proud of my accomplishment. I worked up my small raised beds and planted my tomatoes. Now, I wonder if I could fix the big ancient tiller, sitting unattended and neglected? I do have the courage now that it takes to attempt it.

                 

3 comments:

  1. ALL RIGHT! Do you get an MJF badge for this one? You are my kinda gal!! Let's hear it for spunk, creativity, and dogged determination. You win the prize, hands down! Thanks for showing us it could be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really looked it up to see if this fulfills a badge requirement. Of course it should by all means...lol.

      Delete
  2. Way to go, Patty! True farmgirl fashion!

    Nancy
    www.liveasavorylife.com

    ReplyDelete