Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Quail Coop


   When we began the venture of raising quail we didn't have any housing for them. We acquired the eggs, and I knew we had approx. 17 days to build a brooder. I knew then we had a couple of more weeks before we would need permanent housing. We had found a pallet thrown out that was 4' x 8' and made with 4x4 boards. The pallet was covered with a full sheet of plywood. Perfect for the floor. I used some previously used lumber to build the frame and enclose the little building. I found a used storm window and a wood screen door at a resale store. They were perfect for my little building. The only thing purchased, that was not used, was the roofing. I used a clear corrugated roofing. Inside the coop, I made 2 compartments for quail. I even made the spring closures for the wire front compartments. I used a old spring and wired it to the wire door. I then attached it to about 6' of old clothes hanger wire. I created a loop with a key ring in it to serve as a "handle". I then created a hook on the end to hook to the wire front. The little coop is perfect and I have many happy quail. Each evening when I go to bed, I can see the little quail running around within the lighted coop from my bedroom window. This is when I know, Life is good.
                                                                                                                                                                 




1 comment: