Friday, October 28, 2011

My Pledge for Handmade & Recycled Holidays


Oh my, it has been over a month since I have blogged. I have just been so busy with Fall Festivals, sewing and crafting. This is such a busy time of year. The holidays are  right around the corner.
Speaking of the holidays.... I have decided that all of my gifts will be reused, homemade or handmade. I am very dedicated to recycling, so why buy new gifts? Almost everything on a "Wishlist" can be found on the online yard sales, craigslist, ebay, yard sales or thrift stores. I can "homemade" delicious desserts, cookies, pies, or home canned jellies, jams or produce.
I can sew almost any item of clothing or craft any special gift. For those of us that do not feel like they can make these items, they can be found at craft sales  or craft shops.
Another idea is to barter with someone who has the skills that you do not.
Our group of farmgirls (Country Belles) are planning on a cookie exchange but the cookies will not be for us. We are compiling a list of names of others that would enjoy a plate of cookies. Each us us will bake the needed amount of cookies for our list. When we have our meeting in December, we will exchange cookies and arrange them for gift giving. Individually we will deliver the cookies to the person that we included on the list. The idea is not so much the gift of cookies, but we had decided to make sure the delivery includes at least a 20-30 minute visit. Some elderly rarely get visits, as people seem so busy these days.
I bought my grandaughters an Easy Bake oven at a thrift store for $4. Little girls grow out of using Easy Bake Ovens so quickly. I will clean it up, wrap a big ribbon around it and drop it in a decorated bag for Christmas. I have researched homemade recipes on line and will make little mixes labeled with "MeeMaw's Kitchen" and make each of them a personalized cookbook. I so enjoy the holidays when I am not stressed about what to buy, how much to spend, and excited about creating something made by me.
My grandson will receive a recycled t-shirt super hero cape, and a shooting galley made with golf tees, pingpong balls and a water gun among some other recycled toys and handmade items.
I have loads of ideas for the kids and there definately won't be a shortage of gifts under the tree.  I raised my kids on being thrifty so they do not mind used clean clothing or used items. They love a bargin themselves.
So my gifts will include such things as handcrafted jewelry, book marks, gift baskets of themed items, homegrown canned produce and jellies, used books, and loads of homemade love.








No comments:

Post a Comment