Thursday, November 3, 2011

Falling Leaves, Chili, and breezy days.

Have I mentioned how much I love fall? The sounds, the smells, the beautiful colors. They alert all my senses and grab my attention completely. The leaves are falling. The breeze drop the leaves to the ground and makes the sound of  rain.  I love the sounds as I walk through the leaves. I love the colors, the browns, golds, and reds. I love the smell of the leaves burning.  I love the crisp, fresh smell of the breeze. I love to hang my fresh washed clothes on the line and watch them in the breeze. 

An Autumn Greeting


"Come," said the Wind to the Leaves one day.
"Come over the meadow and we will play.
Put on your dresses of red and gold.
For summer is gone and the days grow cold."


Last night I fixed a large pot of White Chili. The house was full of a wonderful aroma. Another wonderful fall smell. I love white chili.  I use a combinations of several recipes that I have and created an easy recipe with ingredients I had on hand, This recipe is quick and easy and is delicious.

White Chili Recipe
INGREDIENTS
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped 
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cans great northern beans
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups diced cooked chicken
3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS
1 In a skillet, sauté onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly.
2 Combine beans, chicken broth, and cooked chicken in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. 
3 Add sauted onion, garlic, chilis and seasonings to soup pot. 
4 Reduce heat and let simmer.
3 Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped fresh tomato, salsa, or chopped scallions.







No comments:

Post a Comment