Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hankies and Handkerchiefs


Do you remember hankies and handkerchiefs? For generations it has been a tradition for brides to carry a pretty handkerchief on their wedding day. Some women still carry little packs of tissues in their purse. My grandfathers and my father always carried a handkerchief. My husband does as well. When Kleenex introduced their brand of disposable facial tissue in the 1920s, it was almost the end of the traditional handkerchief.
I have 3 sons and I tried to instill in them the importance of carrying a handkerchief. I must have failed, because I don’t believe any of them do. I used to believe that just old folks carried the reusable handkerchief. It was not until I got older that I realized the importance of the handkerchief.
I am all about reusable, so of course I support the use of a clean daily handkerchief. According to PeopleTowels (manufacturers of eco-friendly reusable hand/face towels), to make one ton of paper towel/tissue products requires killing 17 trees. A ton of paper tissues will use 20,000 gallons of fresh water in processing! Don’t imagine the average person thinks about the water waste in producing paper products. You might as well launder the reusable items. Paper products take up more room in landfills than any other trash item. Of course there are more reasons then the environment to carry a handkerchief.
Blowing your nose is the number one reason to carry a handkerchief. You don’t have to dig far for a tissue when a handkerchief is in your pocket. You don’t have to use a harsh paper towel or toilet paper when tissues are unavailable. You can get over the “yuck” of the handkerchief in your pocket, They are large enough to handle a lot and still be wrap up without the worry of “yuck” in your pocket. There’s an old Irish proverb that says, “always carry two handkerchiefs... one to show and one to blow.”
Young men don’t have to worry about appearing to be old fashion when dating. The handkerchief can be a tool for impressing a date. A handkerchief can be offered if her make-up is smeared, or if she cries at a sad movie. What a romantic gesture to offer her a handkerchief.  What a way to look mature, prepared, and caring.
There are many reasons to carry a handkerchief:

1) Blow or wipe your nose
2) Wipe sweat from your brow
3) Cough or sneeze into to avoid spreading germs
4) Dry a women's tears
5) Wipe a child's hands or face
6) Wrap a wound
7) Use as a dust mask
8) Wipe up a mess
9) Use in a magic trick
10) Tie the corners to make it into a small bag
11) Clean your pocketknife
12) Wipe off a fresh picked fruit or vegetable from the garden.
13) Wave to get someone's attention
14) Clean dirt off your hands
15) Wipe lipstick off your face
16) Clean your glasses
17) Use in a magic trick
18) Tie your hair back
19) Use it to cover a dish, and protect from flies
20) Use it for a 'tablecloth" for your lunch in a pinch
Can also be used to wipe away fingerprints.

            I carry a large handkerchief in my purse and a couple in my glove box. I have offered them to others to wipe their brow. They are cheap enough that I can offer to let them keep the handkerchief.  I think I will add handkerchiefs to my Christmas gift giving list this year. Maybe my own sons are mature enough now to realize what a wonderful tool the forgotten handkerchief can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment