Some days just seem to be more productive then others. Yesterday was one of those days. I am looking forward to today being just as productive. Of course, when everyone is away and you spend the day alone, a person can seem to accomplish so much more.
I had a Dr appointment in Springfield, IL yesterday and thought I might do a couple of other errands while in the city. I needed to pick up some 1x2 lumber to put my crown molding on our kitchen cabinets. I had a $40 rebate burning a hole in my pocket and had decided to use it toward the purchase of a fire ring for our backyard. I drove by a bread store and decided to whip in and see if they had some "bird bread". Bread stores offer great deals on old bread to feed to the birds. I purchased an entire cart overflowing for $5. I kept some for feeding birds, gave some to a friend to feed to her pond fish and the remainder my mother will feed to her ducks and chickens.
I always visit Starbucks when I am in the city. Now that I live in such a rural area, it is one of the things I miss most. I have read about the Starbucks program "Grounds for Gardeners". Spent coffee grounds are complimentary upon request at Starbucks retail locations and are available year-round as they are generated. Most stores offer grounds packaged in reused coffee bags and sealed with the Starbucks Coffee Grounds as Compost sticker. The location that I visited yesterday had huge bags that they just disposed the grounds into. They sit them in a bin near the dumpster and customers are welcome to take what they want. I was in the car so only took 2 bags that were not leaking. I would guess each bag to weigh 25 lbs. They were pretty heavy. The Barista or store employee that I talked to told me that when the bin is full, the grounds go into the dumpster. The bin was full and he asked me to take them all. I have plans on going back in my truck and doing just that.
I couldn't wait to get home. How could anyone be so excited about coffee grounds? I dumped my grounds into a wheelbarrow. I picked the filters out and decided to place them around my garden plants to help in weed control. The filters are huge. They measure about 14" across I then used some grounds to mix with my dirt to plant some vines waiting to go in the ground. I put the remaining grounds into my compost bin. I have decided (after researching), that I will mulch my bushes with the coffee grounds. I will also use them around my tomatoes. I am excited and anxious to see the effect it will have on my gardening. I walked around my garden this morning, and it sure seemed like my plants were smiling at me and grew inches overnight. I think they truly liked being dressed in the coffee covered filters.

No comments:
Post a Comment