The Robin's Nest
May 20th, 2011
I am not a writer and I can’t spell, but I will try to write about something that has touched my heart.
The first of May, My daughter Sherry put out a flower box on my balcony. We planted some very pretty flowers in it. I was so happy, until a Robin decided to build a nest right in the middle of the flower box. I wasn’t very happy about it, so I threw the nest out. A few days later, here she comes back to build another nest. I was very upset. I told Sherry, “What a nerve this bird has, to come back and build another nest in my flower box.”. Sherry responded “Mother, just think of the baby birds you will have to watch.”. And watch I did, and I have learned the greatest love that this bird had.
After a few days I noticed 3 eggs. They were the most beautiful blue color I have ever seen. So I watched and I waited. I grew to love that Robin and admire her for her dedication. She seemed to have more love and dedication than some people have for their children. Only one of the eggs has hatched. It is a very ugly little bird, but he is well loved. I now feel like a grandmother to this little bird and what fun I am having watching this little family. Papa bird brings the worm to Mama bird. She takes the worm from him and feeds it to the baby. I have learned so much by watching these birds and to think that I never wanted that nest in my flower box. It has been a week and she is still a dedicated mother and I, a dedicated watcher. I looked this morning while the mother was away. There was this ugly little bird, growing a few feathers. Soon he will learn to fly. I then will have only a big hole in my flower box and also in my heart.
My little bird is getting big. Pretty soon he will be flying away. The mother is still a caring mother and still binging food. The little bird has lots of feathers and is kind of cute now. I am going away for a few days. I suppose when I come back, I will only have an empty nest. I know I will truly suffer from “Empty Nest Syndrome”. But, what a great enjoyment I have had watching it all. It was amazing to see this life cycle. What a lesson I have learned about nature and I will always cherish this experience.
Clara L. Byrd-Fitzpatrick.

No comments:
Post a Comment