Sunday, June 12, 2011

Family Reunions / Make a family banner

   I love family reunions.  I love seeing everyone. With the busy lives most people today lead, family get togethers are few. When I was a child, (you knew that was coming didn't you), we would go to my grandparents every Sunday after church for a big feed. I loved our get togethers! In the winter time the adults would play pinochle. In the summertime, It was always horseshoes and homemade ice cream. I can remember dinners at my great grandmother's. No one worried about leaving food out. After dinner she would cover all the food with a big tablecloth and we could help ourselves to the food all afternoon. I can't remember anyone getting sick.
   I have baked beans in the oven and am a bit worried about them. How long can I keep them out during the picnic? My potato salad will be put in ice, so less worried about it. I am always eager to hear what others take to these types of picnics and always looking for new ideas.
   This year I made banners for our reunions. A very easy and fun craft. I used the "Reverse Applique" technique.




1. To begin, cut triangles from all the same cut of fabric for each letter. I chose used canvas painters cloth. The reasons I chose the painters cloth is, I like the looks of it, and because I am "all about" recycling. Denim also works well. My pieces for this project were cut 16" across the top x 20" sides.



2. I then cut matching triangles  for each piece from different color of fabrics. I chose recycled bed sheets. An abundance of sheets are available at local thrift shops for little cost.







 3. I opted to use my serger machine to sew the triangles together. It is quick and simple and the look is fine for this project. You can also chose to zig-zag the pieces together or straight stitch.





4. I them printed letters from my computer onto basic computer paper. The letters can be written by hand as well. I set the font as white in color with a black outline.




5. I placed the letters on each triangle. Making sure that I placed the letters on the front (painters cloth side).Next I pinned the paper in place. I then stitched the outline of the letter with a straight stitch.






6. After stitching the letter onto the triangle I removed the paper, and clipped any loose threads. I then cut away the front fabric on the inside of the lettering. Making sure that I cut away only the letter, and not the centers of letters such as the "R" and "O", etc.







7. I then stitched each letter to a clothesline rope for hanging. I turned the top over the rope creating a "rod pocket" and straight stitched.





Waalaa! The banner is finished! This is an excellent project for creating banners for a childs room as well. Now off to church and then the family reunion!


The banner made a wonderful backdrop for photos.
And everyone couldn't help but find the pavillion that we were under.



















No comments:

Post a Comment